Approximately 30% of the U.S. population is affected by fatty liver disease and its subtype non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). It is a growing health crisis that often progresses without symptoms. Most aren’t aware they have it till their liver functions are impacted in the later stages. They call it a “modern lifestyle disease” because lack of exercise, obesity, high-fat diets, and diabetes are among the top causes. Thankfully, hope isn’t lost. Knowing if you’re at risk for liver disease and getting your free fibroscan are the first steps to priceless prevention.
Benefits of a Fibroscan
Vibration-controlled transient elastography, or fibroscan, uses ultrasound-based technology to measure the density of the liver. Many different kinds of liver diseases exist, but most follow the same chronic inflammation, scarring, and fibrosis progression. Over time, fibrosis causes the gradual hardening of the liver tissues. As the ultrasound waves move through the liver during the scan, it will indicate if and how much scarring is present.
The results are available immediately for your doctor’s interpretation. From there, a plan of treatment and further testing can follow, if necessary.
- Quick and Painless:
- It’s non-invasive and takes around 10 minutes. Fibroscans have replaced the need for a liver biopsy in most cases. There is no downtime; you are on your feet immediately after.
- Monitors changes in the liver:
- There are no restrictions on how much you can use it. The scan can be used as a tool to measure if an individual’s liver disease is worsening, improving, or remains the same. You have a measurable tool that lets you know if lifestyle changes or treatments are working.
FREE Fibroscan at South Texas Research Institute
Anyone can develop liver disease, but the following factors increase your risk:
- Alcohol abuse
- Type 2 diabetes
- Tattoos or body piercings
- Injecting drugs using shared needles
- Blood transfusion before 1992
- Unprotected sex
- Exposure to certain chemicals or toxins
- Family history of liver disease
South Texas Research Institute is offering FREE fibroscans for adults at risk for developing fatty liver. Knowing the health of your liver has never been easier. Based on your scan results, our research team may also talk with you about our enrolling research studies as a potential option. If you are in one or more of the risk categories above, we encourage you to schedule your FREE fibroscan today! Call us at (956) 284-6353 or visit our website.